Looking to Solve your Back or Neck Problem?
Are you losing faith in short term results therapies which provide temporary relief but never really fix the problem?
If you suffer from back or neck pain, sciatica, a trapped nerve, a slipped disc, a bulging disc, muscle or joint pain , spondylosis, arthritis, shoulder, elbow, hand, hip, knee or ankle pain let us help you using the McKenzie Method.
What is the McKenzie Method?
The McKenzie Method of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT) is a method of assessment and treatment for spinal and limb pain developed by New Zealand physiotherapist Robin McKenzie. It has been a core component of physiotherapy treatment for over 30 years and is practiced extensively throughout the world. It is a movement orientated approach that aims to provide the patient with the tools to help themselves in both the short and long term.
What should you expect at your initial appointment?
- You will be thoroughly assessed by a competent physiotherapist trained and certified in the McKenzie Method
- We will thoroughly explain the nature of your problem to you
- We will walk you through your treatment plan
- You will be advised what you can do to help yourself
How does it work?
You will be asked a detailed set of questions about your symptoms. You will then be asked to perform a set of movements. How your symptoms respond to these movements provides the therapist with information necessary to devise a treatment programme specifically for you.
Using the information from the assessment, the clinician prescribes specific exercises and postures that you will perform on a daily basis. These exercises may be supplemented by manual therapy provided by the practitioner. Our aim is to achieve the greatest benefit in the minimum number of exercise sessions. Treatment performed by you five or six times a day is more effective in a shorter period of time than treatment administered by the therapist once or twice per week.
Back and neck pain is a problem that tends to recur over many years. During the assessment we aim to gain an understanding of how your symptoms behave. We can use this knowledge to adapt the exercises to reduce the number of future pain episodes and to provide you with the necessary tools to manage any future pain episodes at the earliest stage without needing to seek professional help.
What is the advantage of using the McKenzie Method of treatment?
- A thorough and detailed examination allows your therapist to uncover the true nature of your problem
- Localising the problem helps to apply the most effective and specific treatment
- Through education we teach you how to take control of your health problem, how to prevent reoccurrence of your pain episodes and what to do to help yourself when you need to.
- Unlike other therapies which aim to treat you over an extended time period and achieve only temporary relief. We aim to empower you with the skills to manage your own health for a more permanent solution.
What does McKenzie Method treat?
The McKenzie Method is very effective at treating back or neck pain, sciatica, a trapped nerve, a slipped disc, a bulging disc, a muscle or joint pain , spondylosis, arthritis, shoulder, elbow, hand, hip, knee or ankle pain.